Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Networked Student

Let's Network The Networked Student is a video depicting a project done by Wendy Drexler and a group of high school students. I have been taught to learn and to know as much I can, but I've always been encouraged to be ready for circumstances in which I may not know the answer to a question or how to address a problem. In such situations, it is important to know where to find the answer or needed information. It's a real life Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? scenario. Everyone needs to have a network, the equivalent to phoning a friend, polling the audience or narrowing down the choices.

With the use of internet search engines, RSS feeds, bookmark sharing programs, wikis, free web video conferencing, iTunes, and much more, students have access to endless amounts of useful educational materials which serve as a large part of their networks. In the video, the question is asked about whether teachers are even needed anymore. Teachers are needed to carry on traditional instruction, but even more, they are needed to be able to guide students, advise students about building networks, teach to communicate properly, vet a resource, etc.

The video offers some great advice for students conducting research. Check it out!

1 comment: