Sunday, November 22, 2009

Stupid, Brilliant, Rules Lists

Okay, so the title is slightly indicative of what follows. I have reviewed three lists, so I want to share some of what I have found and offer what I find most important.

The first list is Doug Johnson's Seven Stupid Mistakes Teachers Make with Technology. To avoid regurgitating some of the previous comments I have made, I will forego offering my favorable support of Johnson's suggestions pertaining to teachers' need to implement technology in the classroom. Let's stick with the theme of protection. There are three "stupid mistakes" that leave teachers and students vulnerable to loss of data or reputation. (1) Teachers not backing up computer-stored information; (2) Teachers carelessly sending spurious emails and browsing internet sites about which they would prefer others not know; (3) Teachers not properly supervising students using classroom computers (there are all kinds of loopholes students may find to access prohibited materials and websites).

The second list is Johnson's discussion of the opposite -- Seven Brilliant Things Teachers Do with Technology. One of the biggest frets I have about working as a teacher is communicating with parents -- well, communicating negative things. But, waiting to continue my education till the age I am now (27) has actually helped me to appreciate this subject of my worries. I'm a dad, and though my oldest son is just in K4, I already value teacher-to-parent commu
nication. Johnson believes teachers should make conferencing real-time. There is no replacement for the face-to-face meeting of teachers and parents, but using all available methods will save time and keep parents informed, which could potentially avoid certain unwanted face-to-face meetings. Johnson suggests the use of email, blogs, and wikis to give updates about grades, projects, student progress, etc. Another brilliant thing teachers can do is delight in the discovery, newness, and the fun technology holds. This is great advice, not because it is a new idea, but because teachers, just like any other professional, tire from curriculum and teaching, in general, so it is good to be reminded that this stuff is fun -- teaching and learning are only as exciting as teacher and student make them!

New Classroom Rules by Education Innovation
The third list I visited is New Classroom Rules by Education Innovation. After reading and re-reading the list, during which I had to taking some calming deep breaths, I actually found some fairly interesting rules. What I had to overcome were some of the rules dealing with the students' use of cell phones, instant messaging programs, and other tech-gadgets traditionally prohibited in the classroom. I repeated to myself: "Cade, this is written to be humorous. It is not entirely serious." There is a place for most of the items on the list, even though a teacher would probably not want to give freedom for students to do as they please with them (like using their cell phones in the middle of a test). As a college student, I prefer this rule: "Come to class on time, or log into your online class anytime day or night, whenever it is most convenient for you." But, on a more serious note, technology can be problematic when people use it and put no effort into being respectful. Rule #10 states: "Be polite, courteous, and respectful at all times in both physical and virtual space." This is great advice teachers should follow. Don't forget that certain fonts and font sizes, punctuational inclusions or exclusions also send a message that may give the recipient/audience cause for an unintended negative response.

1 comment:

  1. I had some issues overcoming some of the rules on that last list as well. Even with advances in technology, I can't quite convince myself cell phones should be in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete