From the moment I registered for EDM 310, I was excited for the possibilities of the course. I have always liked creatively working with computers. I suspected that by integrating computer technology with education, I would discover my perfect recipe to one of the most enjoyable classes I have taken at USA. After seeing Dr. Strange's emailed introduction describing himself and the course, I remember my wife saying, "You're going to really like that class."
The first day of class, Dr. Strange asked us whether we thought we were tech literate. He purposefully did not tell us how he defined being tech literate. I believed I was tech literate. I was partly right, but what I didn't realize is how much I did not know.
For example, what person, with any amount of familiarity with computers, would say he or she does not know how to use Google? Most would scoff at the suggestion that they may not know Google as well as they think they do. They probably do not realize Google offers various other search methods, several of which are features of a great site called Soople. I first heard about Soople in EDM 310 and was assigned to give a brief overview of it. In our class, we set out to utilize several aspects of Google. I believe the most useful Google tools I will be using as a teacher are the applications found in Google docs: creating and sharing presentations/slideshows and forms, and researching invaluable free online books.
But, let me go back for a moment. The most obvious new thing I have learned is what it takes to create a blog. Before this class, I had created a few church websites, but I had never blogged. Now, I have found that blogging is not only a good way to communicate thoughts, lessons, instructions, class projects, videos, etc., but it is also a good way to strengthen oneself personally. Seldom, I believe, do teachers insert themselves into the busiest avenues of communication with their students--technology. These teachers are missing out. As a teacher, I anticipate use of blogging in some capacity. I hope that the school environment in which I work will welcome integrating technology into the classroom through blogs and other means.
Here are some of my other EDM 310 firsts: my first use of Microsoft Movie Maker, my first web videos and posts to YouTube (group projects: Video Podcasting and the Classroom, Future of Print), my first use of Delicious (a more accessible way of online bookmarking), my first use of Twitter, my first time receiving RSS feeds (along with my first use of a personalized iGoogle page), my first Skype call (with video), and my first recorded Skype call (video/audio). There were probably many more, but there are so many it has been hard to keep track.
The class has caused me to think about some things. I might not have agreed with every assertion, I have been intellectually challenged. Discussions and assignments about the future of technology, written communication, the nature of the classroom, and teachers' uses of technology interested me. I don't see the classroom in nearly the same way. One group in our class used in their presentation a pie chart indicating what sorts of teachers use Smart Boards the most. I would have first assumed computer/technology classes, but they do not. What impressed me was that--if my memory is correct--English/Language teachers use it the most. After a few moments, I envisioned all the possible ways the Smart Board could be used in my future English/Language Arts classroom. It was motivating to hear English teachers often make use of the same things we had been discussing in our class. Even young school children demonstrated ways in which English/Language can be used in technology. In their class blogs, they read stories aloud, display their own illustrations, and publish their own creative writing.
In previous posts, I have mentioned in better detail other things I have learned: ACCESS, ALEX, intellectual trail, etc. I was introduced to Foliotek, but due to limited use of it thus far, I still lack an understanding of its positive traits. As a secondary education major, I know I will be using it much more and becoming better acquainted with it in the near future.
I do not believe EDM 310 could offer anything else that could add to the class or replace anything we did. In fact, I was glad to hear we would not be learning uses of Office programs. That would have been boring and, for most students, totally unnecessary. I have been using Office for so long that, while I may not know everything about it, a lot of it would be rehashing what I already know.
As a lifelong learner (another area of emphasis in EDM 310), I would suggest anything in the class was not conducive to enhancing my education. I learned from every discussion and every assignment. I remember my embarrassment when Dr. Strange Skype called me. I had not Skyped him yet. If there were something to forget...that would be it. Seriously, though, the joy of now Skyping family members in other states with my wife and children, to me, would itself have made this class a success.
One question asked about this class is, "Did you find anything in this class to be particularly 'intellectually challenging?'" Honestly, yes. I do not know how much others struggled to think of something useful to put into writing (of the blog posts), but I found it extremely intellectually challenging. Besides my inability, at times, to stop writing once I have started, I found it hard work to think of topics and ideas to discuss in a way that, if I were reading the post, I would want to read. This fits well into the "intellectual trail" reality. If one carelessly goes about his or her blog posts, site guests will find the blogger's disinterest evident. In writing my posts, if I would not have wanted to read it myself, I would not post it for others.
Now am I technologically literate? After learning my lesson on day one of EDM 310, I will not answer yes. Instead, I will say, I am more tech literate than ever before, but I'm still learning. I still have several semesters before I graduate. I have a lot of time to become more tech literate and think of useful ways to include it in my classroom. I will try to view Classroom 2.0 webinars and keep up with the latest approaches with which seasoned teachers, especially those in my PLN, are experimenting and recommending.

No comments:
Post a Comment